Friday, October 23, 2009

Via Con Dios, San Antionio!

We finished our work yesterday afternoon and most of our flights depart after 4:00, so yours truly and roughly 30 other Wyoming teachers are killing time this morning. I walked to a nearby IHOP - a significant feat, given that Texans don't believe in sidewalks or, presumably, walking - and had breakfast with possibly the worst cup of coffee I've ever had at a restaurant. We're excluding church, school function, and gas station coffee for obvious reasons.

Anyway, here's what I've learned:

1. Texas is infatuated with itself.
2. San Antonio drivers aren't all that terrible. Way better than Chicago.
3. One group's shrine to freedom is another group's tribute to oppression. Still, just sitting there in front of the Alamo was very, very cool. Communing with ghosts, etc.
4. I would be an awful traveling businessperson.

I volunteered to drive one of the group vans and I'm responsible for turning it in full, so in another hour or so I'm off to the gas station to fill 'er up. Shortly after that I'm taking the first group to the airport, returning to the hotel, and taking the last group. Upon completion of those tasks, I free myself of 15 passenger van hindrances for the rest of my life. Oy.


No comments:

Post a Comment